Forestry Forum

Forum for the Minecraft mod Forestry and everything related to it.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-04 17:26:21

Sengir
Administrator
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 102

Breeding Research - Escritoire

In case you do not know how to "research" your mutations, my short demo video might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFoLlSjueFQ

How to 'play':

  • Your goal is to uncover all tokens shown on the board. Tokens come in pairs and must be revealed in pairs.

  • If you uncover more than one single unmatched token, you will lose the game and have to start over.

  • Put the bee, sapling or butterfly you want to examine in the center slot of the board.

  • Insert items into the available slots on the left hand side to have a few tokens revealed as hints.

  • Whether or not an inserted item will reveal a token is determined by the type of specimen you are trying to research. Bees will respond to being prodded with their own products. Comparing saplings to other saplings may yield clues. Examine butterflies closely in glass jars for exciting discoveries.

  • Tokens revealed as hints will be hidden again on your next click, so memorize them as best you can!

Successful research can reward you with information on further mutations and other loot. Try to keep the amount of hints you require to a minimum.

Research notes:

  • Research notes give you information on what species can mutate into which other new species. They also give hints on the requirements. The exact information given can differ between Forestry/EB/MB.

  • Right-clicking a research note will 'memorize' it, if your breeding tracker does not already know about it.

  • Memorizing a research note has the same effects as discovering a species or mutation the natural way. Mutation and species will be visible in the apiarist's, arborist's and lepidopterist's chests as well as on the mutation page in the *alyzers. EB will also show this information in the databases and databanks.

  • You can trade notes with other players.

Keeping your research between saves:

Breeding information and discoveries are world specific currently. They do not carry over from one save to the other and are tied to the player name. If you want to keep them between different worlds or installations, you can however copy the information. It is saved with your world save into the folder '%appdata%\.minecraft\saves\$WORLD_NAME\data' (may vary if you are using MultiMC or similar) as

Bees: ApiaristTracker.$USER_NAME.dat
Trees: ArboristTracker.$USER_NAME.dat
Butterflies: LepidopteristTracker.$USER_NAME.dat

If you copy these files into the corresponding folder of your new save, you will have your research information available there. If your username changed for some reason, you will have to rename the files to use your new name.


"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a bee you haven't seen before."

Offline

#2 2013-06-04 21:19:26

Jadzi
Member
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 5

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

Butterflies and bees both have chests for memorized research to go to, but saplings do not. Where does the memorized research of saplings go to?

Offline

#3 2013-06-04 21:47:45

Sengir
Administrator
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 102

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

Jadzi wrote:

Butterflies and bees both have chests for memorized research to go to, but saplings do not. Where does the memorized research of saplings go to?

Well, first off into your RL memory or your notes. tongue

When you "memorize" research notes in game, it will be recorded in the breeding tracker for that species. I.e. it will show either in the associated chest, or the beealyzer, treealyzer or flutterlyzer (and if you have ExtraBees installed it will show in the apiarist's database/databank).


"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a bee you haven't seen before."

Offline

#4 2013-06-04 22:22:00

Jadzi
Member
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 5

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

Sengir wrote:
Jadzi wrote:

Butterflies and bees both have chests for memorized research to go to, but saplings do not. Where does the memorized research of saplings go to?

Well, first off into your RL memory or your notes. tongue

When you "memorize" research notes in game, it will be recorded in the breeding tracker for that species. I.e. it will show either in the associated chest, or the beealyzer, treealyzer or flutterlyzer (and if you have ExtraBees installed it will show in the apiarist's database/databank).

Interesting. So I put a Cherry sapling in and successfully got a research note. I then put the same sapling in the treealyzer (I assume you have to use the same sapling). Would the research information show in panel 4? Nothing was revealed in that panel when I did so.

Offline

#5 2013-06-04 22:28:30

Sengir
Administrator
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 102

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

Jadzi wrote:

Interesting. So I put a Cherry sapling in and successfully got a research note. I then put the same sapling in the treealyzer (I assume you have to use the same sapling). Would the research information show in panel 4? Nothing was revealed in that panel when I did so.

Did you use the research note? (Right click with the note in hand.) You'll also need at least 2.2.6.3 for the information to actually synch to the client.


"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a bee you haven't seen before."

Offline

#6 2013-06-05 03:13:48

MasterOfParadox
Member
Registered: 2013-06-05
Posts: 5

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

This...
Is a rather confusing system.
Minigames FTW.

Offline

#7 2013-06-05 03:41:32

RichardG867
Member
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 7

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

You'll understand once you actually use it. It's a game of memory with a few twists, but it's still memory. Once you discover something out of it, it'll appear on the databank.

Offline

#8 2013-06-06 18:01:29

Jadzi
Member
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 5

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

Sengir wrote:
Jadzi wrote:

Interesting. So I put a Cherry sapling in and successfully got a research note. I then put the same sapling in the treealyzer (I assume you have to use the same sapling). Would the research information show in panel 4? Nothing was revealed in that panel when I did so.

Did you use the research note? (Right click with the note in hand.) You'll also need at least 2.2.6.3 for the information to actually synch to the client.

We did right click but it appeared to go nowhere. The reason is we are on 2.2.6.2, it seems!

Offline

#9 2013-06-06 18:19:38

ExodusDeath
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 6

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

Are you going to make a tree chest, so we can see how many we have/ are missing?

Offline

#10 2013-06-06 18:28:36

Kaffefilter
Member
From: Somewhere in the north
Registered: 2013-06-05
Posts: 13

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

W00t! this is awesome! Best invention ever Sengir! Makes the time between breeding less trivial big_smile

Offline

#11 2013-06-15 01:12:43

Ted
Member
Registered: 2013-06-15
Posts: 1

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

I love the mini-game aspect of the escritoire, and it even provides some nice tangible benefits.  One thing I noticed, though, is that there is no disincentive to using a low-mutation breed and just playing the odds without revealing any tiles, for free honeycombs or what have you.

A bug I ran into while playing around was when there were two pairs of the same bee breed on the current board.  The revelation of the second bee in the second pair caused a server crash.

Offline

#12 2013-06-15 08:16:41

warmist
Member
Registered: 2013-06-14
Posts: 2

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

I really like this. Very nice (and balanced) game design option to bring the otherwise quite hard to find mechanic into the game.

Offline

#13 2013-06-16 19:51:58

CallMeHal
Member
Registered: 2013-06-16
Posts: 4

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

This looks like fun, but still trying to wrap my head around it.

Sengir wrote:

Successful research can reward you with information on further mutations and other loot.

and

Sengir wrote:

When you "memorize" research notes in game, it will be recorded in the breeding tracker for that species

Question:  is the information we can see in the breeding tracker strictly for reference, or does it provide any benefit when trying to achieve a researched mutation/crossbreeding?  In other words, if I already know the mutations from gameplay in a different game world, does the research provide any benefit (aside from "other loot")?

Offline

#14 2013-06-17 07:20:56

warmist
Member
Registered: 2013-06-14
Posts: 2

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

CallMeHal wrote:

<...>

Sengir wrote:

When you "memorize" research notes in game, it will be recorded in the breeding tracker for that species

Question:  is the information we can see in the breeding tracker strictly for reference, or does it provide any benefit when trying to achieve a researched mutation/crossbreeding?  In other words, if I already know the mutations from gameplay in a different game world, does the research provide any benefit (aside from "other loot")?

Other than having a note that says what mutates to what when crossed with what. The "vanilla" chest do not have an easy to use list of mutations (they show them as colored bees/trees/butterflies, but you can't check their names or what their requirements are afaik). So these notes make a better reference.

Offline

#15 2013-06-17 08:23:00

Sengir
Administrator
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 102

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

CallMeHal wrote:

Question:  is the information we can see in the breeding tracker strictly for reference, or does it provide any benefit when trying to achieve a researched mutation/crossbreeding?  In other words, if I already know the mutations from gameplay in a different game world, does the research provide any benefit (aside from "other loot")?

No. Research notes do not give you any advantage beyond what you can also discover by simple trial and error. Arguably the information given by the notes can be more accurate/exact than what you get by trial and error. (Giving you better information on the required environment f.e.)


"If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must be a bee you haven't seen before."

Offline

#16 2013-07-09 11:55:14

Yiazzy
Member
Registered: 2013-07-09
Posts: 21

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

So I put a Butterfly in my Escritoire today, and got some kind of Bottled Butterfly dna or something? No idea what on earth to do with it. Any ideas?

EDIT: No, never mind. Found out what they do. Using the drop key to leave them on the ground, actually creates a new Butterfly specimen that is the same breed. Interesting to know big_smile

Last edited by Yiazzy (2013-07-09 12:02:02)

Offline

#17 2013-09-03 07:33:47

farproc
Member
Registered: 2013-07-07
Posts: 58

Re: Breeding Research - Escritoire

So I *finally* made the escritoire never having thought of it as much more than a decorative chair tongue

Questions:
1. If I load the escritoire with stacks of honeycomb - is there any way to reset it after research without taking out and replacing the bee being researched?
2. Likewise - how do I reveal the next clue without lifting and replacing one of the comb stacks?
3. Having memorized the research node is there any way to regain access to the notes text?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB